Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Grilled Cheese Please!

What is it about white bread, cheese and butter that makes it so dam good?  As a child it was one of my favorite's and then when I was obsessed with my weight I tried to stay away.  And then I got cancer.  My chemo treatments affected alot of things especially my appetite.  I had a constant taste of metal in my mouth.  I had mouth sores and furry tongue.  Anything I ate tasted like metal.  There wasn't much I enjoyed eating.  The constant nausea I had didn't help either.

So I steered myself directly for comfort food.  Doesn't that always include cheese in so way shape or form?  Grilled cheese sandwiches were one of the few things that tasted good to me and I enjoyed eating it.  And there was also mac and cheese.  Not just any mac and cheese though, it had to be kraft in the blue box with that pouch of gooey cheese you poured on the macaroni.   Yeah, very unhealthy of me I know.  But I had cancer and thought I was gonna die so I wasn't afraid to eat whatever I wanted. I was angry that my mouth was so messed up and I could barely enjoy food.  

Comfort food does just that, provide comfort.  I was searching for comfort everywhere during my cancer treatment and it was really tough to find any.  I did find some in the form of cheese though!  

What is your favorite comfort food?  During your treatment did you loose your appetite or have changes in your ability to taste?  How did you deal? 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had the metal taste, the mouth sores and i lost too much weight while on chemo. also, i couldnt keep anything down. i started eating hungry howies pizza with dr. pepper. also mashed potatoes. garlic, a lifetime obsession of mine, became intolerable!! i was glad that my taste for garlic and health food returned when the chemo was over.

Cathy Bueti said...

Hi Sheila!

Thanks for sharing! It was good when treatment was over to enjoy eating again!

Glad you stopped by!

:)

Daria said...

I'm a bread and butter girl too ... thou with chemo ... I don't know that I have comfort food anymore.

Cathy Bueti said...

Hi Daria,

I was always a bread and butter girl. The super white bread! That sucks you don't have comfort food anymore :(

Thanks for sharing..