Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vitamins Increasing Breast Cancer Risk . . . What's Up With That??

It can be dizzying trying to follow all the different studies regarding breast cancer. Like some of you I want to do all I can to prevent this horrible disease or at the very least reduce my risk factors. So I was a tad alarmed when I read about a recent study that came out about vitamins increasing the risk of breast cancer. The study was in women aged 49-83 but still. . . this just doesn't make sense to me. It didn't state which vitamin it was just "multivitamins". I always take my daily dose of vitamin D as that has been known to help fight cancer. And I also take the B's and C's. So what is a girl to do? Or man for that matter?

As I live with the fear of recurrence floating over my head like a dark cloud I can't help but try to improve my lifestyle and diet. Although I try hard not to become controlling and obsessive about it as I have written about before on this blog but information such as this makes my head spin. I makes me wonder. . . what are we doing wrong here?

Check out the full article "Multivitamins Linked To Cancer" and let me know what you think.

Do you take any vitamins? How do you handle all the info out there relating to your illness? Does it make you confused? How do you handle the "after cancer" life?

1 comment:

NW Luna said...

Well, it looks like in the group taking a daily multivitamin the rate was 3.25 women out of every 100.

For non-vit women, the rate was 2.6 out of every 100 (to get breast cancer).

A lot of unanswered questions:

1. What kinds of cancer? fairly benign DCIS or invasive forms, or inflammatory? Big difference.

What kind of multivitamin, and what else in the diet?
Many people use a multivit to make up (or try to) for a lousy diet.

We need to know more before drawing any conclusions. So says this RN with a brca diagnosis.