Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Notebook. . . It Just Gets To Me

"I am no one special, just a common man with common thoughts. I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect, I've succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and for me, that has always been enough."  

This is how Nicholas SparksThe Notebook  begins.  It is the line in both the movie and book that I have been unable to forget.   I have watched this movie about 10 times already in the past 6 months and I still never tire of watching it.  It has become my favorite movie ever.  Each time I watch it I am left wondering what it is about it that just gets to me so much.  

Everyone enjoys a great love story and this is one of those.  But when I really think about the story of Noah and Allie I think about that first line.  I think about the simplicity of life back in that time.  I think of how in love they were.  How strong of a love it was to have brought them back together after years of being apart.  Then I think about when Noah tells Allie that marriage is not supposed to be easy, it will be hard.  But that he wanted to share all of it with her.  I think they challenged each other.  Because it was tough it made them both better individuals.  The relationship Allie had with Lon was too easy.  He had money, gave her everything she wanted, but there was no challenge.  She was a different person when she was with Lon.  She lost her spark.  The one she had when she was with Noah.  It was the kind of love that has the power to challenge and change you.  In the end Allie realized where she truly belonged.  

In a world where everyone is looking for their 15 minutes of fame, the big break, the ultimate success, what really matters is love.  I wonder why that is too often put at the bottom of the list.  I think sometimes I focus on all the wrong things.  All that I need is always right in front of me.  And then I wonder why is that not enough?  

Did you see "The Notebook"?  What message did you take away from it? What is it about this movie that gets to you?    What is your favorite movie?  

No comments: