Friday, October 30, 2009

Boobbook. . . I Thought It Was Facebook??

I have to say I was unaware that women are joining Facebook to show off their boobs and men are only on there to check them out.   This  according to actor Kevin Connolly is the reason Facebook should just be called Boobbook.  I thought I was on there to meet up with friends and network.  But alas I was wrong.  
 Celebrities like Jack Black and Kevin Connolly are starring in ads to raise breast cancer awareness as part of the Men For Women Now Campaign.  If you haven't seen these ads head over there and check them out.  In one ad Jack Black is shoving his man boob into a mammo machine to show just how "easy" it is.  In another ad Kevin Connolly is asking  men to save some boobs cause "who doesn't love boobs right?"
  
Who cares about saving the woman lets just save some boobs cause that is the only part of a woman that matters right?  Maybe I am just sensitive about this subject but I am disappointed that some people feel that the only way to get men on the bandwagon to support women with breast cancer is to promote saving the body part in trouble vs the woman.  Women are more than their breasts.  To  face losing one is such a hit to your self-esteem and sexuality.  But it just seems to go along with how women have been exploited by men for many years.  

I like to believe that men are better than that and smarter.  I look forward to the day a campaign to raise breast cancer awareness led by men does not involve talking about just saving the boobs!

Have you seen these ads?  What do you think?  Do you think there is a better way to get the message across to men without exploiting women's breasts?  Are you sensitive to these types of ads?

4 comments:

Sherry said...

I hadn't seen any of this....I find it revolting. I get that this guy is on a program that is all about "sex and rock and roll and celebrity"...but so what?

I think you are on to something Cathy -- men talking about saving women. Saving boobs? Sure, we joke about "save the boobies" like "save the whales" and even that is disrespecting ourselves.

Perhaps women could come up with ads all about saving mens prostates or their testicles...cuz who doesn't like nuts, right??? ;)

Cathy Bueti said...

Sherry....GREAT comment!! You had me laughing at the last part!
Seriously though..I so agree with you...I too find it revolting and we do at times disrespect ourselves.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. I posted this link in Marisa's blog a week or so ago. It actually makes me physically angry.

KK said...

Wow, I never pay attention to ads and had no idea. I'll try to remember to look. The great thing about my iPhone (where I usually check FB), is that the ads are not there!