I was very lucky to have had good health insurance 8 years ago during my surgery and treatment for breast cancer. These days my insurance is not accepted at the facility I choose to go to for my followup visits and 2 years ago my annual breast MRI showed a spot which lead to a biopsy costing about 12k. My insurance covered 70 percent of what they thought the facility should charge and I had to pick up the tab for the other 30 percent plus the difference. This took me many months to pay off. Of course the most important thing was the benign biopsy results however the added stress of medical bills is enough to make you crazy.
While I was going through my treatment I accumulated a pile of bills and insurance statements I couldn't even stand to look at because it would spin me into a panic attack. I was lost in a daze of surgery, chemo, and trying to get myself to work everyday so I could keep my insurance. At times I felt like I needed someone to sift through all my paperwork and help me decipher it all. Through not paying attention I actually screwed myself out of 4 thousand in charges for breast reconstruction that should have been covered. I found it too late and of course missed the time frame to file a grievance. And now because of my cancer history I have to be careful not to let my insurance lapse because I would have to wait months to begin new coverage.
Check out the article about Bill Caudle and share your thoughts here...
Did you have insurance coverage during your illness? Have you ever had to go to great lengths to get health insurance? What do you think about this husband joining the army for the health care coverage?