Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Time To Spring Ahead . . .















This week has been fabulous springy weather up here in NY. I definitely have spring fever. I already feel better. My winter blues are slowly fading. I like waking up to the sun early in the morning. And what I really love is the extra daylight in the evening.

Every year I look forward to longer days. I love turning the clocks ahead. And that we get to do that a few weeks earlier these past couple of years is even better.

I am one of those people who has Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). It is self diagnosed of course. BTW. . . how appropriate are those initials! Anyway, I always notice my mood changes in the winter with the lack of daylight and the cold weather. My appetite even changes where I eat more as if I was a bear going into hibernation. I miss being outside, I miss having the fresh air blow through the windows in the house, and do not enjoy the potential of slippery roads from the snow. I feel more trapped. Spring brings on more freedom for me if only in my mind.

When I was going through chemo it was during the fall/winter months. So when the spring rolled around my hair was growing back just as the flowers were waking from their winter naps. It felt like a rebirth in more ways than one. I think that the time of year certainly increased that feeling for me.

So this weekend when we turn the clocks ahead I will look forward to longer days, more sunlight, and those sweet little crocuses. . .

Do you ever get SAD? Do you notice your mood changes during the winter? Does the lack of sunlight affect you? How do you deal?

No comments: